[OM] Re: Kodak 400UC print film

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak 400UC print film
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:11:42 -0500
At 05:13 PM 5/30/2005, Bob Docherty wrote:

>  I just shot three rolls of this emulsion and find it the Velvia of print
>film.

I would characterize it more as the E100VS (or Elitechrome Extra Color) of
color negative.  It not only punched up the green in what I shot, it quite
noticeably punches up the yellows and reds along with them.  I used two
rolls of 100UC recently, one 35mm and the other 120 . . . anticipating
fairly flat lighting under hazy-bright to overcast sky.  Turned out to be
hazy-bright conditions.  Didn't have much blue around in my shoot, so I
don't know what it really does with that.

Don't know if I'm ever going to use UC again though . . . but that's one
man's reaction (opinion) about the proofs that came back (from my shoot,
not yours) . . . and there may be some interaction on what gets punched up
and how much with the print materials the lab uses (some print materials
are bolder than others).

Suggestion about the first one:
Crop the left and right sides off to make it a vertical and eliminate the
bright hot spot just to the upper right of the path.  You've got a very
good backlit photograph of the teens and the lighting nicely rimlights
their hair (the two girls in particular).  Alternative . . . keep it
horizontal, but change aspect ratio and shift subjects off center toward
the right side by cropping off right side with the hot spot.

-- John Lind