[OM] Hi, Re + E-1 obsession

Subject: [OM] Hi, Re + E-1 obsession
From: Peter Leyssens <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:55:31 +0200

Hi & Re,

I'm Peter Leyssens, I've resubscribed myself for the upteenth time to
this warm list of congeniality and wretched peer pressure that has
already cost me a fortune.  I see Jez&Iwert are still around, I remember
our Oly nice day out in Tongeren, maybe we should do this sort of OM
meet again, it was fun.

I'm in this phase in my life where I don't make too many photographs,
and obviously, more hardware is the solution.  I mean, even a retired
photographer friend of mine has switched to digital !  He frequented a
local pub for 2 years to nag about the state of affairs in photography
until a friend told him he should switch to digital, because he already
has the experience and he is lightyears ahead of all teenies who dance
akwardly on the tips of their toes while squinting to make sense of the
LCD that shows more reflections of what's behind them than the snapshot
horror they're trying to admire.  So he switched, and he's not looking
back.  I can't stay behind !  Aside from sheer lens envy and recurring
Zuikoholism, being a computer techie since the age of 12, I'm looking
forward to taking photos I can show to the world right away.

Here's my master plan:

1) Get myself a E-1 + 14-54 kit.  I don't care for the 14-54 lens, as
I'm not a fan of standard lenses.  Additionally, I didn't like the bokeh
I've seen in pictures online.  But AFAIK only this kit is eligible for
50% educational discount in Europe.  Anybody has experience with this ?
  I'd buy the camera in the Netherlands, while I'm in Belgium.  Any
problem with that ?

2) 11-22, say no more.  Maybe a 50-200 in the long term.

3) OM adapter.  I'm hoping the dealer will throw in one he gets free
with the educational discount :)  I have a RealZuik(tm) 28/2.8, 50/1.4,
90/2.0, 75-150/4 and 200/4 that would look nice in front of the new
body.  My B-300 1.7x teleconverter would turn that 200/4 into a 680/4+,
which sounds sufficiently outrageous to brag about :)  I read John
Foster's overview of the OM adapter on the E-1 body, and it would seem
that most of these lenses would be okay.  But I have a question.  Is
diaphragm automatic, or does it need to be click-stopped before
exposure, or does the DOF preview need to be pressed while taking the
picture ?  How does this work ?  Any other weird things in use ?
(except for the overexposure when wide open, I read about that)

Then another question.  It's all very nice to have a 50mm/2.0 digital
macro, or a 90/2 RealZuik(tm), which are then 50mm resp. 180mm
equivalents with an effective light input of f2.0.  But the DOF
increases by 2 stops, giving an effective DOF equivalent of an f4.0 on
OM bodies.  I mean, there's no way to get the nose tip of the nice lady
at
http://www.millennics.com/olympus/tope/tope_show_entry.php?event=5&pic=2
out of focus with f4.0 !  Imagine the horror !

How do others feel about this ?  I haven't seen it mentioned in the
archives.  But then I only skimmed through April and May, which already
took me several hours :)  I don't remember where I read about this
first, but I have a DOF calculation spreadsheet that confirms my
findings.  It's of course nice for certain photographs to have wide DOF
while still getting lots of light in, but sometimes I just want that
micrometer DOF.

Do most of you use PhotoShop ?  Any PaintShop Pro users ?  I've been
experimenting with a scan to turn it into B&W using color curves or
Carr's method, with varying results, but then I'm fairly n00b at that.

Peter.