[OM] Re: Scanner technique

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner technique
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 15:14:54 +1200
Dan wrote

>   Does anyone have any tips on how to get photos to stay still on a
> flatbed scanner? I always have a heck of a time with it -- I put the
> photo down nice and straight, but no matter how carefully I then close
> the lid it always seems to get knocked crooked, which means I have to
> take the time to straighten it out later on.
>
>   I tried lining the photo up with the edge of the glass, but I read
> some advice that says you should scan in the middle of the glass where
> the scanner will be less distorted (presumably this doesn't make much
> difference once you get more than half an inch away, but that's still
> enough to stop the photo being kept still). Also, it didn't seem to help
> as much as I'd hoped, I'd end up with the print blown entirely off the
> glass..
>
>   What am I doing wrong? Is there some way to get around this?

In my experience, Dan, what you are trying to deal with is the high velocity of
the air leaving the space under the lowering scanner lid, as you close it over
a large area of paper sitting on slippery glass.  The nearer the lid is to
being
fully closed, the higher the air velocity because the exit gap is smaller per
each successive change in unit volume..

I've never tried putting the print other than in one corner where at least I
have
two sides under movement control, and I've never seen any artifacts that
looked like being due to print position on the platen. Except, in fact, I think
the scanning quality on my scanner is better if the print is up near the start
point of the scan area.  Gives the stepper motor fewer chances to hiccup and
stuff up the scan.

So - how to solve the problem?

Lower the lid   V _ E _ R _ Y  slowly, all the slower the nearer to closure it
is.

Don't believe me? Try letting the lid fall under gravity, and the chance is
that
the print or piece of paper will come scooting out under the force of its own
little gale.

Brian