[OM] Re: RSX (was "My personal Film vs. Digital tests")

Subject: [OM] Re: RSX (was "My personal Film vs. Digital tests")
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:16:23 -0500
Quoting AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>:
> What is wierd is that the E-1 when using CS2, -1
> Contrast, has
> nearly identical color response.  I was just looking at
> some
> RSX-50 slides the other day and noted how similar the
> look is.
> Uncanny.
>
> Every attempt at scanning them is thwarted by the
> golfball like
> grain, though.  For some reason it really aliases
> something
> fierce on my 2700dpi scanner.
>
> AG

Grain was more pronounced but very acceptable on my Polaroid
scanner.  Even RSX-200 was just fine -- certainly not like
Provia but more than OK.  So I'd have to agree with you
about the difference the light source makes in the scanner
on the graininess in the scan.

I quit using RSX-50 when it went to version II, which had
more of that OTT color saturation.  Velvia is my OTT film. :)

But the old version didn't have the dynamic range of the
newer version.  There's always something.

As long as we're on your nickle here, I found a way to tame
the digital greens, sort of.  If you have something
comparable to PS's channel mixer, get on the Green channel
and decrease it from 100% to 80% and add 20% on the blue
channel.  For me it makes it look more like a film green.
Not necessarily Velvia, but more like film in, for example,
Moose's latest bridge photo comparison.

Not sure whether I like what it does to the sky though.
There's always something.

Joel W.