[OM] Resolution cameras are able to deliver

Subject: [OM] Resolution cameras are able to deliver
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:52:35 +1200
Hi all,

Popular Photography issue for April 2005 has just hit the shops here, and
there is an interesting review of 9 digital cameras and what they are capable
of.  Here they are, with the maximum acceptable print size they are reported
to be capable of:

Canon EOS 20D                           8.25 MP         12 x 17.5 inches
        Rank 1
Canon EOS Digital rebel         6.3 MP          10 x 15 inches
Rank 1
Fujifilm Finepix S3 Pro         12.3 MP         11 x 16 inches
Rank 2
Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D  6.1 MP   10 x 15 inches                       Rank 2
Nikon D70                                       6.1 MP          10 x 15 inches
                Rank 3
Olympus E-1                             5 MP            10 x 13 inches
        Rank 3
Olympus Evolt E-300             8 MP            12 x 16 inches
Rank 3
Pentax *ist DS                          6.1 MP          10 x 15 inches
        Rank 3
Sigma SD10                              3.4 MP          9 x 13 inches
        Rank 3

My OM bodies (especially the OM4Ti) and lenses are proven to be capable
of better than A3 size - and 12 x 18 inches.
The OM4T and Zuiko 35~105 can do better than that with Fuji Superia Reala.

My MF bodies and 6x8 & 6x9 inch backs without doubt capable of much
better.

I have been thinking about this recently since I have been asked to take
some large panorama shots. So I am also definitely relieved that the E-1s
recently sold at a huge discount in Auckland were not priced higher !!

Brian