[OM] Re: About RAW

Subject: [OM] Re: About RAW
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:48:37 -0500
At 10:23 PM 4/30/2005 +1200, you wrote:
>What commonest programs are used for editing E-1 RAW files, (or is it only
>in-camera?)
>
>bj

Brian,
I'm guessing the majority of people, even on this list, use some flavor of
Photoshop to convert and then continue with the editing of RAW files.  If
you don't have Photoshop CS or better (although I believe there is a RAW
converter plug-in even for PS 5), then you should be able to install
Olympus Viewer from the CDs that came with your E-1.  This program will
give you the ability to do RAW conversion, and there is an update to v.1.3
that you can download which provides a histogram and some other nice features.

There are other options like Phase One and even Vuescan.  I don't use them
so I won't talk about them.

One of your options when you select file format on the camera is to do RAW
+ jpg.  In a way, this option is a little bit like shooting the RAW file
and then letting the camera develop the RAW for you.  You can even shoot
RAW + a SHQ jpg if you want (which seems like overkill -- although I do it
occasionally on special images with the C8080).  If you decide to select
RAW + SQ you can adjust the compression ratio of the SQ to a very light 1:8.

The Viewer raw converter will give you the option to adjust the levels and
white balance before converting as well as all the other settings you can
select in the camera for handling .jpgs.  It's ultimately very easy,
particularly if you've made good exposures in the first place.

One thing about Viewer that is a little annoying is that when it is
processing an image, you don't get any sort of progress indicator other
than the hour-glass, and no TA-DA when it's done.  You can select the type
of output you want Viewer to create from the RAW file (jpg or TIFF) and
also whether you want it to open the resulting image in your default image
editor.

Hope this helps,
Joel W.