[OM] Re: Event shooting - postmortem - another one, the focus contest

Subject: [OM] Re: Event shooting - postmortem - another one, the focus contest
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:29:37 -0400
With the A1, if you're shooting in the wide to normal range and have
enough light to shoot at f/8, the only thing the autofocus can do is
screw it up by focusing in the wrong place.  Very large prints could
make the tolerances tighter but that's not typical for party shots. I
was really only mildly surprised by the DOF on the A1.  I was more
surprised to find out how much DOF was available on the E-1 as well.

Schnozz apparently shot a lot of stuff wide open at high ISO.  That's
not typical for what I do and would be more restrictive on DOF.  Most
events are indoors and pretty dark.  We generally set up 2 to 4 studio
lights in a ballroom and try to bring the overall background light to
about f/5.6.  Then, using additional lights, on camera (and another one
off camera is an asisstant is available) bring the overall illumination
to f/8 for the exposure.  Having the background readily visible but
subdued at 1 stop less than the subject makes a much better flash
picture than one that simply goes black in the background.

Chuck Norcutt