[OM] Jumping on the E-1 bandwagon (was: E-1 FS in New Zealand)

Subject: [OM] Jumping on the E-1 bandwagon (was: E-1 FS in New Zealand)
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:42:45 +1000
At 04:21 PM 16/04/2005 +1200, Brian wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>The "special" at $1,000 NZ is very tempting and for about half an hour I was
>thinking positively about the matter.
>
>But I was brought back to earth with a thump, and current house
>considerations here mean that I just have to flag it away.  Probably just as
>well.  There may be one for me some other time, but not now.

$1,000 is the magic figure I've been watching for, the E-1 kit normally
sells for $3,000 down here in Oz.

There is no way as an amateur photog. that I'd consider paying $3,000 for a
camera, it's out of the question. It'll never happen.

OTOH I thought I might consider paying $1,000 for an E-1 kit and when I saw
this offer my brain started ticking...so I asked myself some questions.

Would it improve the artistic and technical quality of my photos?
- No.

Would it give me more satisfaction than using my OM-1 and 4 cameras?
- No.

Would it give me more satisfaction to press the print button on my computer
rather than pulling a nice FB b&w print out of the fixer tray?
- Definitely no.

So there you have it - even at one third of the normal price an E-1 kit is
not on my horizon.

Andrew McPhee