[OM] Re: WTB Flash cable E-300 to T32

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB Flash cable E-300 to T32
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:17:03 -0400
James asked:
I've never been a big fan of flash, so T32 atop the camera has done me
fine when needed, as I would not go to the lengths/expense of some kind
of off hotshoe flash mount. I've realised, though, one of the benefits
of autofocus - the camera can be held in the right hand, with the left
acting as flash holder. So all I need for a setup with as much swivel
and tilt as the human arm can provide is a cable. I'll even be able to
use the fill-in built in flash for fill-in. Am I limited to those
supplied by Olympus? The T32 won't work TTL, so all I need is something
to fire the flash. Will a generic flash cable do the job? Anyone got
anything spare they're not using?

The problem with using a T-32 off camera on other than an OM-2s or later
is that it doesn't have a standard PC connection.  The easiest way
around the problem is to mount the flash on the BG-2
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup/power_bounce_grip.htm>
since the BG-2 has a standard PC cable on its underside.

Short of a BG-2 you will need something like the PC to hotshoe adapter
shown on the far left of the bracket in this photo:
<http://home.comcast.net/~chucknorcutt/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-2086843.html>
You'll also need an appropriate PC cable.  Depending on the adapter you
choose it might have either a male or female connection on the flash
end.  The one in the photo came either from oboy or Ritz Camera.  I
don't remember which.

For manual use I think a better alternative is the Sunpak 522 or similar.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15221&item=7504633831&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW>
The 522 is a handle mount flash where the handle is a permanent part of
the flash unit and the camera mounting bracket is easily removed.  If
you want to work with the flash waving around in the left hand this will
allow you to do it.  My guess is that you'll choose to leave it attached
to the camera on its bracket.

The 522 has nearly as much power output as the T-32 (by test, not specs)
and offers a 4 stop auto range and 7 stop manual power ratio control.
It also takes 6 AA batteries so when fitted with six 2300 mah NiMH
batteries will deliver a lot of flashes.  It also accepts Quantum style
high voltage battery packs.  It can also do OM TTL when fitted with the
OT-5 adapter but can't do multiple flash TTL as with the OM system.  The
522 has a proprietary Sunpak connector (similar to an audio mini plug)
at the flash end but the other end of the cord is a standard PC
connection.  The short proprietary cord is all you need to reach the
camera when the flash is on the bracket.  A standard PC cord can then be
used as an extension cord if needed.

A disadvantage of the 522 is that it's large and heavy.  I believe
smaller and lighter Vivitar 283 and 285 (more versatile than 283) also
accept a PC cord with proprietary flash-end connector similar to the Sunpak.

I have four T-32's and a BG-2 but when not shooting TTL on an OM I use
the 522.

Chuck Norcutt