[OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip- !! modestproposal !!

Subject: [OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip- !! modestproposal !!
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:54:39 +0100
[snip]

Iwert wrote:
> Winsor,
> I like your idea very much. Especially seen in the
> perspective of a world where there is already so much
> consumption and spilling. Would it be an idea to mail
> the picture to the next person, and the next one being
> inspired by this produces another one, etc.. etc..,
> more like an international stream of conscience?
> It is a bit like the summer and winter exchanges,
> but we could follow the results online.
> (I really like this idea)

Nick wrote:
[snip]
> I lean to the concept of people using their own OM1
> (or closest model) and 50 and sending the hat (plus a
> timetable for each to photographer in turn - the baton
> is passed this way).
[snip]

Wayne wrote:
> I'm with you Winsor, don't want to dampen everyone's
> enthusiasm, but it does seem pointless to ship a body
> around the world only to shoot our own film in it,
> after all it's just a box to hold the film in the
> correct position.

Winsor wrote:
[snip]
> We are all on the OM list. We all have an Olympus
> camera of some sort, some have dozens.
> Why ship a camera around?

All these statements pretty much correlate with
my thoughts. Instead of having a tedious process
of sending a body and probably lens, shooting photos
that could be made with each participant's own stuff
as well and by no means to tell apart (except we
incorporate a 'strange, modified' data back), we
should have some 'thread' or common motif or the
like.

Goerge S. wrote:
> Pardon me, Andreas, but I'm not quite understanding
> what you mean.   [snip]
> People should shoot
with and at whatever they're familiar with and/or
> good at shooting. That will maximize results.
> I am not interested in seeing 150 interpretations
> of the same subject, and from the same perspective.

I am not either. I think list members are creative
enough not to repeat, even if some item is to be
included. And then: the included-item-shot is one
shot of several, and not the only one.

To be fully open may inherit the 'danger' of getting
beautiful shots with no connection to each except
being made by the ONE body (not to be seen in the
shots though) and by list members. Sorta TOPE with
no theme (is that OPE??).

To have a theme, or a common motif, bands the list
together, but not to use the same physical OM body.

Andreas