[OM] Re: OM CAMERAS VIBRATIONS

Subject: [OM] Re: OM CAMERAS VIBRATIONS
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:06:12 +0100
Hola, Angel... Hi, all.

I've been quite busy and just lurking for a while. I hope to get *a bit*
more of time from now on.

>           I¥d like to know something concerning the vibration level of
>the shutters on the different OM cameras ( OM 4, OM 40, OM 20,
>OM2 ...)

Based just on subjective feeling, I think the *earliest* OM-1 (pre-MD) are
the smoothest. After that, and very close, comes the OM-2SP -- in a
completely different fashionm though; this is also the slowest OM.

Then, with a higher vibration level, come the OM-2(n) and later OM-1(MD/n).
I no longer have my old OM-4, but as I remember it had somewhat higher
vibration than the OM-2n. Same with the OM-40/PC, it felt at a similar
level than the 4 (though in a 'style' closer to the 2SP)

All these 'measures' without lens or MLU... I once did a (rather
unscientific) test of the OMs coupled to a telescope (I had no 2SP then),
and showed similar results between all them, with better results in case of
MLU (OM-1) or mirror/aperture prefire (OM-4) -- couldn't tell which of
these two was better.

>           Talking about vibrations and MLU, Why the absence of MLU on the
>OM 2n ? Maybe a problem concerning the inside space ?

It seems to be caused by the way the OM-2 works: when mirror rises, the
'main switch' is turned on (to make TTL-OTF metering), so a MLU lever (à la
OM-1) would drain batteries quickly. See <http://www.zuiko.com/om2.html>.

BTW, it may sound heretical, but the old Nik*n F (1959), when using its
clumsy MLU... its just vibration-less! *Much* less than a rangefinder! The
later F2, although smooth, is not as nice (and much louder).

Hope this helps!

Ba suba, [any Wolof speakers over there??? ;-)]

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>