[OM] Re: OT: Tilley Hats, was OM1 light meter

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Tilley Hats, was OM1 light meter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:07:12 -0800
Earl Dunbar wrote:

>I would never buy a knockoff unless it was significantly better.  I
>mean, Alex Tilley did a lot of work designing the original, and I like
>to support that effort.

Oh dear, looks like I've been a bad boy.  :-)

My excuse is "When in Maine, it's Bean's." Hat and classic Beans's Field
Coat both from the Freeport outlet store
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MooseHat.htm>.

You can't see the coat in the second pic because it was colder and
rained occasionally that day and it's under another coat (London Fog
from an outlet in Gilroy). The hat isn't up to a Tilley, but does the
job. An interesting combination to keep cost down and quality up, it is
made in the Dominican Republic, but uses what looks and sounds like
British brass, at least the snaps say "Original PRYM 4GB"

>Wayne Culberson wrote:
>
>>The different knock-off ones are quite a bit cheaper, and almost as good
>>now,  but they don't give you the second one free after the original wears
>>out. I'm on my second Tilley hat now, a free one.

Moose