[OM] Re: 50/1.8 vs. 50/1.4 - archives?

Subject: [OM] Re: 50/1.8 vs. 50/1.4 - archives?
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:00:05 -0500
Scott,

It all depends on which version of the lens you are interested in. There are
at least five versions of the f1.8 version and at least 3 of the f1.4. The
most popular versions of each are:

f1.4 marked MC version with a serial number of greater than 1.1M.
f1.8 marked 'made in Japan' on the front ring with a serial number on the
mount edge of greater than 5.5M

These two are considered the sharpest versions of both speeds with good
contrast. If you are looking at an f1.8 the miJ version definitely produces
superior shots over earlier versions in my use. I do not have the f1.4 MC in
my collection (yet) but I do have an earlier silvernose SC version which I
am pleased with the results from. From my point of view the f1.4 in any
version is better than the silvernose f1.8's in the sharpness stakes. That
said the f1.8 in any version is a still a reasonable lens, though you will
see a marked difference if you are comparing an early one or a late one. (to
fully get your head around which one is which check out Lee Hawkins FAQ on
the X.zuiko/zukio MC/Zuiko markings)

In my bag at the moment are also the f1.2 version and the HTF 40mm in
addition to the above noted pair. My 55mm f1.2 is in a CLA at the moment but
once it returns I am thinking of letting the 50mm f1.2 go. I think I will
acquire the late f1.4 instead. The f1.2 is a great lens but I prefer the
balance of the f1.4 on a body. I will be keeping the 55mm for the super
speed moments that sometimes will present themselves.

Hope this helps and welcome to the list.

Dan.