[OM] Re: Which 80 series filter do you use indoors?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which 80 series filter do you use indoors?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:43:36 -0800
ScottGee1 wrote:

>I'd like to have an 80 series filter in my bag so I can correct for
>indoor shots made with daylight color films.  Don't want to carry a
>color meter . . . just something to help the lab and keep from having
>too much orange in the pix.
>
>What do you use?

I've used an 80A a long time ago with slide film and had good results. I
see now, looking to see what number it is, that there is something not
so nice on the coating. The big problem with the filter and indoors is
that you lose two full stops of speed. In many situations, it is then
too dark and you might as well have used flash in the first place.

You imply that you will be using color neg film and having it processed
and printed by a lab. In that case, I would try an 80D, to remove some
of the warm tone without dropping the speed too much. The auto printing
equipment should be able to do the rest.

My personal solution nowadays would be to shoot away without a filter,
scan and apply the filter later in PS with no speed penalty. For slides
to be projected, not scanned, I've used tungsten film and it works very
well.

Moose