[OM] Re: Vivitar 550 FD, was: OM [Re] Vivitar 2800 D

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar 550 FD, was: OM [Re] Vivitar 2800 D
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:13:28 -0500
Moose said:
Vivitar did sell dedicated TTL flashes for M/P/O cameras. I have a 550FD
which does TTL on OMs in all respects like a T32 except it doesn't blink
the flash confirmation in the viewfinder, only on the flash, which may
be just my example's problem. It's also an upright design that raises
the flash tube much higher above the lens than a T32, making red-eye
less likely. Doesn't have the TTL connectors, of course, so only really
useful on camera or with the T20 Auto Connector.

I'm also a fan of the 550 FD.  According to the manual the 550 FD does
support flash confirmation in the viewfinder for OM-2s and OM-4.
Strangely, it is not mentioned in the OM-2n or OM-PC sections of the
manual but I can't understand why.  I can verify that it works in my
OM-2s but I've not tried it with my 2n or PC.

I posted about the 550 FD back in January since Wayne Culberson was
interested in it at the time and has become an owner.  My post is
repeated below.

Chuck Norcutt
-----------------------------

Ali asked:
I have a brand new VIVITAR 550FD (never used still in box). What is the
thought of using this with OM bodies?  I never tried mine...since I have
a T32.

And in response to Joe's comments, Wayne said:
So I should be able to parallel the T series and the 550FD's together
then.  Okay, now I might need to search the auction site for some more
duo-sync connecting cords. I wish there was some way to just use phone
cords or something cheap like that to connect everything. The Vivitars
don't have the flash plugs of course, just the hot shoe connection, so
the Olympus cords will only work with the t32.

When using the 550FD with an OM TTL capable body, I use it with a T-32
on a BG-2 and place the 550FD in the hotshoe.  The T-32 is generally
pointed up and off to the side to bounce off ceiling and walls.  The
lesser powered 550FD is generally pointed straight ahead.  The T-32
provides general illumination and serves to light the background and
keep it from going black or filling with ugly shadows.  The 550FD serves
as a fill light.  Because it's TTL, however, there is no way to alter
the lighting ratios.  This answers Ali's question with at least one way
of using the 550FD with an OM body.  I also answers Wayne's question
about whether the T series flashes and 550FD can be used together.

I also use the 550FD (in the hotshoe) in auto or manual mode with the
Minolta A1 but in combination with the Sunpak 522 instead of the T-32.
The Sunpak 522 is a potato masher type flash (ala T-45) whose auto mode
sensor (unlike the T-32 on BG-2) is always pointing straight ahead
regardless of the bounce angle of the flash head.  This allows adjusting
the lighting ratios between the two flashes using aperture range or ISO
settings.  It's also easy to control with the instant feedback from a
digital camera.

Now some bad news for Wayne.  Sorry, but I have never had any luck
getting the 550FD to work reliably with a duo-sync cord.  The duo-sync
cord has smaller TTL contacts than a normal OM hotshoe.  The 550FD
(probably because of its triple camera design) places one of the OM TTL
contacts slightly ahead of its neighbor by 1-2mm.  I think this contact
simply fails to meet up with its counter part on the duo-sync cord
because of the small size.  If you want TTL control for the 550FD it
will have to be in the hotshoe or mounted on a T-20 auto connector.

Historical note for those who may not know what is a duo-sync cord.
Duo-sync cords were inexpensive, third-party TTL cables/shoes to allow
getting the flash off the camera.  I can't recall the manufacturer who
is probably long gone.  Functionally, the duo-sync cord is the same as
connecting together a TTL Shoe Cord 0.6m
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup/ttl_auto_cords_t.htm>
and a TTL auto connector T-20.
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup/ttl_auto_connector_t20.htm>
The duo-sync cord was much more cheaply manufactured and used standard
US coiled telephone handset cable which was soldered at both ends.

It works with a T-32 but doesn't work with the 550FD.

Chuck Norcutt