[OM] New member

Subject: [OM] New member
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:28:35 -0500
OK.  As promised, a bit about me and why I joined this list.

My handle may be familiar to OM members who frequent photo.net, Miranda and RFF.

I joined that last group when I decided to get a small, multi-lens kit
to keep with me pretty much all the time.  Since I had previously
owned a Contax G1 kit that I had to sell for financial reasons, an RF
kit made sense to me.  I quickly acquired a Bessa R2 and 35/50/75
lenses.  Very nice except I think my eyesight has changed (again . . .
) and I can no longer quickly focus an RF.  Quick is important to me
so I decided to look for a RF-like SLR kit.  Any surprise that I would
land on Olympus doorstep?

I've been reading FAQs, articles, books, etc. and have gleaned a lot
of information.  Given that I tend to swim upstream equipment-wise I
find myself drawn to the the 4T(i) and 2S, in that order.  From what I
can tell, Oly really had the major kinks worked out by the time these
two were produced.  Also, they can use the '2' series screens.

I really appreciate the consistent 49mm filter possibility throughout
the lens line.  My ideal line-up would be a 21/28/40/85 but for the
fact that the 40 seems to command a very high resale price - what's up
with that?  As such, I'd shift to 21/35/50/85.  And yeah, I really
like ultra-wides.

Haven't bought anything yet, but handled a 1n, 2 and 'G' at a local
used camera show last Sunday.  The 2-13 screen on the 'G' made a
significant difference in focusability and overall brightness.  Of
course the 'G', as nice as it is, is not in the league of the others
in other respects.

BTW, has anyone here had any of their 1-x series screens modified by
Bill Maxwell?  He applied his 'Hi-Lux' process to my Hasselblad
screens years ago and the difference was remarkable.

One bit of confusion . . . a lot is made of the mirror dampening
mechanism Maitani-san developed for the OM-1; was that carried through
to the 4T(i) and 2S?  Low vibration and quiet are on my 'important'
list too.

As a final note I should mention that this Oly kit is primarily for my
personal use though it may find its way to some of the paying jobs I
shoot.  My digital rig is EOS and it weighs more than I do.  OK, I
can't say that for *sure* since our scale is broken.

Thanks for listening this far and I'm looking forward to learning from
and contributing to the list.

ScottGee1, aka, Scott Gardner