[OM] Re: Tourism question -- what to see in Seattle?

Subject: [OM] Re: Tourism question -- what to see in Seattle?
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:26:35 -0800
Dan,

I expect I'll be around that morning. If you end up at the Pike Place Market
give me a call--206 956-0883. My office is at the north end of the market on
First Avenue, across the street from the Virginia Inn--which is a nice spot
to have lunch.

What kind of thing interests you? There are many science, art and history
museums, a decent aquarium, ferry rides, lots of boats everywhere. A couple
good photography galleries downtown--Benham Gallery comes to mind. Tons of
great restaurants. Small but interesting International District, wacky
Capital Hill for the pierced set, many nice close-in neighborhoods. The
Space Noodle is kinda fun, for the overview it gives of the area, but you'll
probably see that from the air. The EMP (now a science fiction museum) is
not one of Frank Gehry's best buildings, but if you haven't seen one it's
worth a look. If you like great architecture, Steven Holl's Chapel of St.
Ignatius is probably the best building in Seattle. We have a flashy new
library designed by Rem Kulhaas/OMA as well.

The underground tour of Pioneer Square is slightly hokey, but I really
enjoyed taking it when my parents came to town years ago. Part of downtown
Seattle was effectively buried in a re-grade of the streets. Second floors
became first floors, leaving a whole streetscape underground. Elliot Bay
Books is right there--fantastic independent bookstore.

Have fun!

-Rob in Seattle