[OM] Re: Ice hockey photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Ice hockey photography
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:00:25 -0600
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:18:13 -0700, James N. McBride wrote:

>2. Do not use a flash. If you catch a player looking right into the flash
>you may blind them and cause an accident. Pissed-off hockey parents are not
>a pretty sight and they may beat the crap out of you. Even worse, they might
>damage your camera.

I've shot hundreds of high school and a handful of college basketball games
from right under the goal firing a T-45 on a Turbo-Z with a motor drive. When I
first
started, I asked players, coaches, and referees whether the flash was a
problem. They said they never noticed the flash - they were too wrapped up in
the
game. And for big games, I've stood shoulder to shoulder with other
photographers blasting flash whenever the action was near. Never a complaint.
The
players don't notice.

--
Barry B. Bean