[OM] Epson 4990 (was: MF film scanning)

Subject: [OM] Epson 4990 (was: MF film scanning)
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:25:13 -0000
Moose wrote:

> The 4990 has been released.

After much thought about "proper" film scanners, I opted for a flatbed one
instead, and bought the 4990 a few weeks ago. I didn't want to spend a fortune,
and it offers useful additional functionality that a "proper" film scanner
doesn't.

I'm no expert at using it, and/but so far I've been very impressed. I've sent
scans off to be printed at 9" x 6" by Peak Imaging -- a couple of the same
images as I've previously had printed by them directly off slides. There is no
perceptible difference in quality at all, and I am extremely pleased with that.
And at £1.50 instead of £5.50, with a quicker turnaround, and without the need
to entrust the Post Office with my film another two times, I'm very pleased
with the results.

With ICE, scanning is slow. 8 slides take an hour. But the computer is still
usable during the process.

I was going to try to find someone to scan in a slide for me with a "proper"
film scanner, so I can compare the results (off the same slide) with the 4990,
and then publish them for all to see. If anyone in the UK is game, please
contact me off-list.

Thanks,

Simon