[OM] Re: Digital photo Printers / labs

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital photo Printers / labs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 20:26:02 -0800
Barry B. Bean wrote:

>Can anyone direct me to a good primer on digital photo printers? I'd like to
>be able to run photo-quality prints up to 11X14 or so from my office, and need
>recs on labs to do work in the 20X30 range.

The field changes so fast that any primer is out of date by the time it
hits print or shortly after it hits the web. The reviews at photo-i are
quite useful <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html>. Vincent's new book
looks like it might be pretty good too.

Although some of the printer specifics in my 1st edition are out of
date, Mastering Digital Printing by Harald Johnson has proved extremely
useful to me in learning about a complex new area and there is a new
edition out. A first rate book with info and techniques that saved me
much more than its price.

Unfortunately, my old Epson 1270 continues to make very nice prints.
:-)   If I were buying a printer today, it would be an Epson R1800.
Others will weigh in with other opinions, of course.

Moose