[OM] [OT] 2" tape [was Kyocera Dumps Cameras]

Subject: [OM] [OT] 2" tape [was Kyocera Dumps Cameras]
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:32:07 -0000
The 2" format came later - it was originally for the first 4 track studio
machines.
The Ampex were the fridge imitations, Studer made some very nice little 4
track versions of the C37 (G38 IIRC). Stood about waist high on a trolley of
electronics.
As for disappeared, the company I was with during my time in the audio
business has a very nice sideline custom rebuilding Studers. The 2" 30ips
twin track ones sound really rather nice. Most famous recording I can think
of recorded on one is Pink  Floyd's "Pulse". Cheryl Crow's original album
was mixed down to one of ours as well, but I don't think it was a 2". It did
use our mikes, mike amps, compressors and equalisers though - and all valve
to boot. The multi track mastering machine had also received a bit of
"breathing on".
Altares Records are a bit obscure and their catalogue a bit eclectic, but if
you listen to one of those, you are hearing our mikes and amps into a 2"
30ips Studer twin track then off the same machine into our cutting
electronics and heads and pressed onto the best of US vinyl.
Valves and analogue aren't dead, nor 2" tape!!

Julian