[OM] Re: OT.. Definitions and Scanner Problems

Subject: [OM] Re: OT.. Definitions and Scanner Problems
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 07:15:16 -0500
Moose replied to Robert concerning his old Plustek scanner thusly...

 >>I am sure I will be frowned upon by some of you for having such an
old decrepid scanner but I know it works and refuse to part with it
until I know how well or badly it scans.

It is a 300dpi scanner with 10 bit depth, probably fine for scanning
text, etc., but not much use for any photographic purpose.

 >>I have downloaded several drivers from different sites but they just
produce similar error messages.
 >>Any clues anyone? or it goes in the Scouts jumble sale box.

Sounds like a good solution.

I agree with Moose.  It's just not worth it to struggle with the older
technology when inexpensive alternatives are available.  The last two
Visioneer USB flatbed scanners I've bought from Staples office supply
have each cost me all of USD 20 after rebates.  Both of them have done a
fair job of scanning prints.  Neither of them has come with a
transparency adapter but I own a 2700 dpi film scanner so that has not
been a problem.  Fair warning, VueScan does not like Visioneer scanners
so you are restricted to the software in the box.  Perhaps next time
I'll have to spend USD 30 after rebates :-)

Chuck Norcutt