[OM] Re: Carl Zeiss 35-70 lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Carl Zeiss 35-70 lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:09:40 -0800
Philippe Le Zuikomane wrote:

>It may be a Carl Zeiss Jena, but these were shot by an Austin, TX photographer
>with a Zeiss 100-500mm 'macro' zoom mounted on OM bodies:

Well, I can't get to that site just now, maybe it is over the traffic
limit, as I looked at one image yesterday.

In any case, I'm not trying to knock the lenses.

On one hand, many lenses that test less than really well are capable of
quite lovely images, especially as viewed on 4x6 prints or web pages,
and I'm sure these Japanese CZ label zooms are at least that good. My
Tokina AT-X 150-500 that I just posted about is probably in this category.

On the other hand, many of us obsess about performance differences that
won't show up in the vast majority of images we will shoot. Some see
meaningful differences between the 50/2 and late model 50/1.4 or 1.8
lenses in ordinary size prints. By those kind of standards, these zooms
would likely place in the good, but not outstanding, category.

Moose