[OM] Re: OT: Lensbabies?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Lensbabies?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:27:44 -0800
Seems to me that 2 different things are getting mixed up here, artistic
out of focus and selective focus on one hand and shift/tilt on the other.

The Lensbaby pretty clearly uses a simple lens with lots of spherical
abberation along with a flexible tube. It's sort of like a SIMA
Soft-Focus lens with a flexible tube that does free-form
focus-shift-tilt.  Here are some examples from the SIMA
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/SIMA/>. Shift and tilt would add more
opportunities for selective focus/OOF.

The other examples use relatively well corrected lenses with larger than
35mm image circles to make shift/tilt lens mounts. Although still
free-form, the quality of the results will be much more "conventional"
looking than from the Lensbaby.

To get Lensbaby type results, use something like a close-up lens on the
flexible, home-made holder, rather than a camera or enlarger lens. A +10
diopter CU lens is 100mm fl, +20 is 50mm. Another source could be single
elements from old lenses. The lens from a cheap magnifier might even
work well. The lack of coatings and less precise manufacture could work
in your favor. Or just take a lens out of a Holga?

Moose