[OM] Re: Leica

Subject: [OM] Re: Leica
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:20:05 -0500
Yep, years and years of insufficient capital injection, dogged retention of the
obsolete R cameras and lenses, and the lack of vision that digital would
swallow the film world whole have put them here.

They should have discontinued the R line 5-10 years ago when they made the
decision not to invest in modern AF equipment in the 90's.  The R8 was a white
elephant from it's introduction.  I used one for a while, it's definitely one
of the nicest, best handling MF bodies that I've ever used; absolutely superb,
IMO.  However, I can't speak for reliability, which is very spotty if you read
the reports of people who tried to use them to make a living.  The lenses were
also way, way too expensive for reality.

Now they're stuck developing the Digital-Modul-R and convincing suckers to pay
$4,500 for it!  I'm sure that there are a few people that have disposable
income, see the R lenses as the cat's meow, and will spring for it.  But come
on, it doesn't seem to be a viable cornerstone strategy.

And the Digital-M will cost a bizillion dollars when it hits the market (if
ever) in 2006 and probably be 2-3 years behind the SOTA.  The a-la-carte
program for the M also seems like a waste of money and time.  I guess that the
margins are so high on that part of the business that they can streamline the
existing M line to reduce costs and offer fondlers what they want for a high
price.  In the end, the a-la-carte program probably makes money by reducing M
production line costs and only employing a few people to do the custom cameras
for the 40 worldwide dealers for the a-la-carte program.

Where do they go from here?

- Lenses?
- Optical engineering?
- Into the grave?