[OM] (OM) Fungus - and battery life in OM4Ts

Subject: [OM] (OM) Fungus - and battery life in OM4Ts
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:51:53 +1300
Hi Neil

> the camera was in better shape than I imagined but the 50mm f1.4
> > has  fungus. The lens is in KEH EX+ condition and looks clear, but when
> > held up to
> > the light it has light spidery fungus filaments throughout. How much will
> > this
> > fungus affect picture resolution? Need I worry about fungus in the camera
> > body
> > itself and will it transfer to other lenses? I live in a dry, mountainous
> > climate...will this keep the fungus from spreading?

These different sorts of fungus are a kind of plant, one that doesn't use
photosynthesis. Instead of seeds, it spreads mainly through extremely small
spores which are everywhere in the air.

Once within your lens, the spores have germinated, and using the minuscule
amounts of moisture and nutrient on the internal lens surfaces, they have
grown to become what you have seen..

Outside the tropics, it is usually unlikely they will grow more spores inside
your lens.

So: fungus in one lens will not spread to your other lenses. The lenses may
however get fungus from the rest of your environment, as you pump air in and
out when you focus..

You can really slow down the fungus in your lens by letting UV light from the
sun shine into the lens, which also dries it out. Fungus likes dryness no
more than other plants do.

Keeping your lenses dry is a very good preventative.

I read  somewhere on the 'net that there is a chemical (Thymol?) the vapour
of which is curtains to fungi within lenses, but don't know anything more
about it than that.

Depending on where you live, getting the fungus removed may be a good
option.

Batteries and OM4T.  I always turn my 4T as much off as is possible when I
am not actively using it. Press the black reset button and turn the speed ring
to the red sector. I know this does not turn it completely off, but it is the
next
best thing.  I think the current set of SR44s have been in there about 3 years
and I use the self-timer quite a lot.

Camera batteries here are really not all that cheap.  I personally would have
doubts about purchasing consumables like batteries on-line on eBay.

Brian