[OM] Re: Zuiko Solvent Abuse

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko Solvent Abuse
From: "Lawrence Plummer" <plummerl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:00:11 -0800
> Thanks Glenn, I tried a spot of gasoline on the flat of the tripod mount.
It
> does leave a residue.
> I pulled off the old protective band from the inside of the tripod mount.
> This had a great deal of the goo stuck to it.
>I tried a few solvents out on this band and found white spirit most
> effective.
> Using a small heap of cotton buds I cleaned the goo from the mount, lens
> barrel and serrations without touching the rubber.
> I shall find a replacement band for this.   Is this an Olympus spare part
>anyone?
> Rob
>
> Glenn Stauffer wrote:
> > I really wouldn't use gasoline.  Too many additives that will leave a
>> residue.  I might next try acetone, but with great caution so as to
> > not damage painted surfaces or any rubber or plastic parts.
> > --Glenn

It turns out that I just ordered the exact item from Olympus USA
(1-800-622-6372, menu to the parts department).  The part number for just
the band is: CB135700.  It was only a few dollars and in stock.  The part
numbers are on the exploded parts diagrams at Mark Dapoz's site
(http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/).

Larry