[OM] Re: OT For the 4X4 Listees & global whatever

Subject: [OM] Re: OT For the 4X4 Listees & global whatever
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:09:17 -0800
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Unfortunately, the Y2K crisis was real and
> had nothing to do with the inherhent capabilities of the computers
> involved.

Well, it did, actually. If you used your operating system's date and
time facilities, you either had the problem at a very deep level, or
you didn't have it at all.

I agree that if you IGNORED your platform's date and time facilities
and went your own damn way, you could have had problems no matter what
you were on, but I never met any of THAT software! I've avoided bad
ports of other computer's software like the plague!

Keeping away from any computer anyone here might be emotionally
involved with, the Unix computers that run the Internet had no problem,
for example, while many banking systems that ran COBOL on old
mainframes did.

The reason Peak Oil is different than Y2K is that it is not an event.
People everywhere could imagine what midnight on December 31, 1999
might do. They have no idea what slowly going from increasing oil
supply, to flat, to decreasing is going to do. People don't prepare
well for things that happen in nearly imperceptible increments.

OM content regarding perceptible increments: I just taught a unit on
depth of field, and used a sequence of the same scene (near flowers,
far tree), shot with the Zuiko 300/4.5 at f4, f8, f16, and f32. People
really "get it" when they see that sequence!

:::: Some call it vision; some call it temporal lobe epilepsy.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>