[OM] Re: Difference between an OM3 and an OM 3ti

Subject: [OM] Re: Difference between an OM3 and an OM 3ti
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:26:02 -0800
Robert McFetridge wrote:

>Could someone explain what the actual difference between an OM3 and OM
>3ti is. Aside from vanity or collectors value is the 3ti that much
>better a camera for the extraordinary cost difference.
>My understanding with the OM4 and OM4ti is that battery mileage is
>better with the ti version. But the 4 is an automatic camera and the 3
>is manual.

The differences are detailed in the eSIF
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/bodygroup/om3ti.htm>. As noted
there, manual or not, the 3 used up batteries faster than it sought to.
The one thing it underplays is the finish, which is unique to the 3Ti.
It is really a wonderful, subtle gray, possibly the best looking camera
body finish I've seen.

If you look at the main body group page, you will see that the OM-3 was
only in production for a short time, ending almost 20 years ago. So
almost all that show up are pretty well used. Then there was a long
hiatus before the 3Ti. Although the Ti listing says 1995-, there were in
fact rather few made. The didn't sell very well and it's likely they
were selling existing stock and not making any more for most of the time
they were available. Like a few other OM items, one of the main things
driving up the price of the 3Ti is rarity.

Moose, who doesn't have or want either one.