[OM] Re: Vuescan question

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan question
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:59:18 -0800
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I've been thinking about getting a flatbed to do batches of images at
> once. Primary use would be to scan years worth of old personal and
> family slides and both 35mm and MF negs.

Few flatbeds will do a decent job of this, unless you are happy with
screen resolution images for email and website use, and don't have a
lot of shadow or highlight detail to catch, or are scanning relatively
grainy, fast film.

Flatbeds that are designed for such use are into five figures, even
used.

Beware consumer-grade scanners that claim more than 1200 samples per
inch. Having enough sensing cells to do high-res is not the same thing
as actually achieving that resolution!

:::: "Are you all right?"
:::: "No, I'm 5/6ths right. My mother's maiden name is Wright, which
makes me half wright, and my middle name is Wright, which is 1/3rd
wright, for a total of 5/6ths."
:::: Jan Wright Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>