[OM] Re: Olympus C-5000

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus C-5000
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:02:49 -0600
At 08:33 AM 1/29/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Richard
>
>It may be the 5050 model, the precedent to the 5060.
>
>Check out this site, which discusses the
>problems/advantages of the two.
>
>http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/index.html
>
>Regards
>Bill Latham

Maybe balance the Wrotniak review with dpreview too.

I had a C-5060WZ for two months of serious shooting.  It was my first
digital camera and I ultimately couldn't live with the optical VF but I so
admired that camera that I kept it for my son, who would be caught dead
looking through the viewfinder anyway.  He loves the LCD.  It's so
versatile that you can use it as a waist-level finder and even see yourself
in self-portraits in it.

But I don't think of it as a good "wife's first digital camera."  What sort
of camera does she now use?  I would get her something for which the
transition is a few short steps.

In the price range, the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ3 looks amazing for the
$$$:  12x optical zoom with stabilization.  Have to have the fortitude to
accept 3.1MP as up to snuff though.  We all know it is intellectually,
especially for those 4x6's, but ...

Again, don't know if the Lumix is a good first camera.  My wife is very
happy with a Digital Stylus 4100.

Joel W.