[OM] OT: Sheet film processing

Subject: [OM] OT: Sheet film processing
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:30:39 -0800
Pardon the OT post, but there is experience here in this group that I
highly value.  Besides, I think all the large format shooters have at
least on occasion used an OM/Zuiko shot as a "sketch" and then followed
up with a LF photo.  And would we all just LOVE to have large format
Zuikos?  (Breathe, take your heart medicine, you can get through this...)

Anyway, in the next year or so I will more than likely reactivate my 4x5
shooting.  My kit is Toyo 45F and a stable of 90, 150 and 400T Fujinons.

When last I processed 4x5, I primarily used tray development.  I had a
Yankee 4x5 daylight tank, but didn't much care for the loading
characteristics of the film carrier, and the process was subject to
uneven development unless you didn't use the lid and used a dip and dunk
process.  So much for daylight.

I found tray results to be much better with respect to evenness of
developing, but did get occasional negative damage no matter how careful
I was.

So, I am looking for input as to successful process and technique others
have used.  Aside from the challenge of handling in tray processing, I
suspect that with modern emulsions and chemistry constant agitation is
not recommended.  In a tray, this would mean single sheet processing,
and I don't relish that prospect.

So that leads me to dip and dunk or Jobo-type equipment, right?  I am
not disposed to Jobo because of cost and less than positive experience
with tube processing (Ciba) in the past.  I've read both good and bad
reviews of the HP CombiPlan system.

So, learned list...what think ye?  And if anyone objects to a long OT
thread, off-line discussions are welcome.

Naturally, I'm talking B&W here, and my final prints will be
silver-gelatin prints and perhaps platinum/paladium contact prints.  I
may experiment with 8x10 positives for final platinum/palladium prints.

Earl