[OM] Re: #031

Subject: [OM] Re: #031
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:04:47 -0800
Walt Wayman wrote:

>Graham,
>
>I have stopped commenting on the photographs you post.  How meaningless and
>trite must continual accolades become, regardless of how sincere and
>complimentary they might be!  About this one and the previous couple, I again
>say "well done."  I particularly liked the cemetery shot through the gate.
>
>Now, since we both seem to have a "thing" for the 21/2 and 35/2, maybe you can
>help me convince Moose to stop poor mouthing and upgrade his kit.  I think
>he's eminently qualified to put either lens to good use.  :-)

Thanks for the back-handed compliment, Walt. I do have the 28/2, but my
24 & 35 mm lenses are only f2.8 and the 18 & 21 mm a paltry f3.5

I do try to get myself to do more WA shots, but it's not all that easy.
When I look out at the world I immediately see small parts of it and
want a long tele or a macro to catch what I see. It may be partly due to
the "eagle eye", my 20/10 right eye? or maybe a general tendency toward
nitpicking? Genetic predisposition? I'll just have to say I had a ball
with the 45-480 eq. zoom on the 300D in Maine, with only infrequent
desires for something wider.

Then when I did think I got some great WA shots there with the OM-4,
great seeming images of BIG sky, wonderful clouds, reflection in
marshes, etc., I shot my WA self in the foot with my first failure to
make sure the film was winding on in decades.

Consider my hand slapped.  :-)   I'll try to do better.... But I'm not
popping for those fast wides until I can get some good images out of the
slower ones. I am given to understand that even though the slow ones are
much inferior, they are nonetheless capable of making almost decent
images and suitable for use by beginners.

I could have used a serious wide angle today, If I'd had one at hand. Of
course, I'd have had to stop in traffic and stand out in the rain, but
what the heck. Today I had a lengthy experience of the finest rainbow
I've seen in ages. One really close, really bright, clear and complete
one and a second, vaguer and incomplete one outside the first. I swear I
could see where the end touched down right among light standards, poles,
signs, wires, etc. while at one light. The thing felt palpable, like I
could go over and touch it. Of course it kept moving when I did. I sat
there grinning like a fool and craning my neck while those around me
were absorbed in their thoughts, cell phones, time urgency, etc. A shame
it kept raining heavily on and off, so I didn't open the convertible
top, but i could see it all much of the time anyway. I was still
grinning broadly an hour later. A blessed day!

And after the rain and rainbow were one and the air was really clear,
what did I notice? The shape and detail silhouettes of some trees
against the sky on the hills probably a mile away. Where's the darned
super-tele, anyway? ;-)

Having the eagle eye seems normal to me, but is something it's hard for
others to understand. I sometimes close or cover my right eye for some
reason or other, notice what the 20/20 eye sees and am surprised again
at what a blurry, or at least less detailed, world most other people
live in. It really may have a significant impact on how I see the world
and why I tend not to pick WA views as often as others do.

Moose