[OM] Re: (OM) Choice of OM4* camera

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Choice of OM4* camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:53:20 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:

>Hi John,  The first thing I did when the salesman handed me the camera was
>to try and move the tab above the red LED cover. It didn't move. It was rock
>solid. It looked as though it had never been capable of moving, or had never
>been moved.
>
>So I concluded that it was an early model where all the cosmetics were there
>covering nothing in particular.
>
>Maybe it was a defective example. I must go back and ask to see it again,
>but I suspect they have sold it.

It's a pretty stiff detent for such a little thingie. I assume that's to
keep it from getting accidently moved to either function, as they went
further on the OM-4T(i), requiring one to lift the little
knob/boss/button up before it will move to either side. At least that's
the way mine is, very clearly intentionally, as the mechanism, although
superficially the same, is different in detail, with the activating boss
being part of a ring which moves up and down. With the change to an
upward release, side to side movement is much smoother.

Interestingly enough, the manual on the Black OM-4Ti, which is the body
I have, both the one I have and the one on the eSIF, does not show this,
but instructs the same as for the OM-4. I wonder if this is an error in
(some?) manuals or if this was a change during the production of the 4T
and my body and manual don't really go together.

Page 44 of the OM-4 instruction manual
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/bodygroup/manuals/om4-a.pdf
explains self timer use.

Moose