[OM] large prints

Subject: [OM] large prints
From: Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:58:19 -0800 (PST)
The company remodeled our office lobby recently and hung two very large prints
of my images - missile launches at White Sands and Kwalalein. Probably 30 x 40
in (0.75 x 1 m).  Both were from Fuji Press negatives and they held up
amazingly well (speaks well of the Zuiko 21/3.5 at f/8.)  I also got the
exhibition prints for ISAP V back from the lab yesterday.  They were shot on
Provia 100F with a Zuiko 24/2.8 and look great at 20x24.  Great detail even in
the launch pad van (a bread truck) 2500 feet away.

Now that I've got an 8 Mpx digital camera (A2), I need to have some comparison
prints made up.  Hard to believe that the digital will hold up as well, but I
have seen some remarkable digital prints.

We shot the last mission in November with my usual setup of two OMs and added
two N*k*n D-SLRs.  The digital images got a lot of use because they were
available first.  But the OM film images were better framed (why, yes, I did
aim them, he said modestly) and were picked over the digitals for the final
report cover.  For now, I will continue to use film and OMs for my launch
shooting, but I will also bring the company photographer along with his N*k*ns
and rented ultra-wide zooms for the immediately available digital images.  (One
significant consideration in D-SLR system selection, often overlooked, is the
availability of rental specialty lenses.  We can get lots of exotic N*k*n and
C*n*n lenses at two rental shops in Dallas.  No E-System lenses.)

Gary Edwards
www.peopleplacesflight.com