[OM] Re: #028 (revised)

Subject: [OM] Re: #028 (revised)
From: "GeeBee" <geebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:39:17 -0000
Someone raised a few points by way of critique on the above shot and I
replied that I would take another  look with those points in mind. I do not
have the original email so I visited the archives to check who gave the
critique and it doesn't seem to be there. The archive expunges any criticism
of my shots? I love this list :-)

I think the post was from Andrew Gullen but I may be wrong, if so, apologies
to Andrew. In any event the criticism was well reasoned and perfectly valid.

Without the email I am working from memory but I have addressed these
points:

1. Dark tree central and too dominant because of placement and tone.
Remedy: I have used another frame which was angled more to the right thus
taking the tree off the centre of the frame. I also lightened the tone of
the tree slightly.

2. Light colour of foreground grass reduced contrast with the snowdrops.
Remedy: I have darkened the tone of the foreground grass to increase the
contrast with the snowdrops

3. Crop from the left to take out the dark foliage on that side of the
frame.
Remedy: Whilst recognising the validity of the point I really hate cropping
so I have just settled for losing some dark foliage on the left as a natural
consequence of angling the camera to the right.

On the matter of cropping, I have a bag full of lenses so I have already
selected my frame content by which lens I choose. That's not to say I was
right with my lens choice just to acknowledge that I am stubborn :-)
Following on from that I took the shot with the 21mm and I feel kinda silly
paying all that money for the wide angle then cropping it off :-)

If anyone is still awake the two shots are below for comparison.

http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05028.htm

http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05028a.htm

Graham
http://geebeephoto.com