[OM] Re: [Photo] Winter 2

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Winter 2
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:34:42 +1030
At 6:04 AM -0800 2005.01.24, Richard Lovison wrote:
>--- Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Interesting -- thanks for your reply.
>>
>> As you used a 4t, I was actually wondering if you had tried taking a
>> spot reading off the snow and pressing the highlight button (maybe
>> with some
>> suitable fine tuning)?
>
>I know, I have all that automation available to me and I choose a
>manual method of exposure.  Just the way I was taught I guess.

Same here -- mostly manual methods. I have in fact recently invested in
a handheld spotmeter. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far, and
keep looking for insights into better ways to use it. Thanks for yours!

Of course it's no magic bullet. You have to make a judgement however you do
it -- with the spotmeter technique above, how much to adjust the highlight
reading to bring out colour and texture, with the average metering technique,
an intuition of how much the bright areas influence the meter's average.

Keep the pictures coming!

regards
  Andrew