[OM] Re: anyone with opinions on Mamiya 645 or Bronica 645 cameras?

Subject: [OM] Re: anyone with opinions on Mamiya 645 or Bronica 645 cameras?
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:19:00 -0400
Four or five years ago I expanded into MF in a small way. I took a test
drive of a Hassy at one of Vancouver's [BC] premier high end photo shops ...
it lasted all of five minutes. Why I like older VW's is that they are
relatively unsophisticated, plain, last, and have no bells and whistles plus
they are not overly expensive. I viewed the interchangeable back idea of the
Hassy as just a bell and whistle that would be prone to wear, mis-alignment
of critically fitting parts through being taken on and off, the potential
for dropping spare backs, and the whole brand frightfully expensive. Equally
critically, the 2.25" square film format looked to be plain un-natural. In
my VW thinking the Hassy was an expensive bell and whistle oriented brand
with an excessive snob value.

I settled instead for a Mamiya R7II, plain, un-ritzy, no interchangeable
backs, and a rangefinder concept like the the brand from Wetzlar.

jh

Some years ago