[OM] Re: OT: Apostrophe's (sic.) (was: Re: Can anyone use a Varimagni fi

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Apostrophe's (sic.) (was: Re: Can anyone use a Varimagni finder?)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:43:49 +0000
The rule I have always followed I think comes from The Chicago Manual of Style,
which is generally used by Murkin publications, and that is that when making
possessives of words ending in "s," whether to add an additional "s" depends on
whether or not it would be pronounced if spoken aloud.  For example, if
referring to one person, you would say/write, "My boss's car is a Mercedes."
If you have more than one boss and you describe their cars collectively, you
would write/say, "My bosses' cars are all Mercedes."  "The witness's answer was
false."  "All the witnesses' answers were false."  And so on.

It would be, "This is Francis's OM-3" because you would ordinarly pronounce the
extra "s" and say "Francisess," not "This is Francis OM-3."  But it it were
Piers' OM-3, you wouldn't say it was "Piersesess" OM-3.  And if you can get
your hands on it, you can say, "Now it's my OM-3."

This is just how I do it.  Others can do it however they like.  As an old
running buddy of mine liked to say, "I may not egrammerate too good sometimes,
but, by God, I'm communicable."  So, if we can understand what you have
written, you done good.  We ain't marking papers here.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --