[OM] Re: #025 & #025a

Subject: [OM] Re: #025 & #025a
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 06:40:54 +0000
I think you're right about the VOR bit Michael, but it's not part of an
ILS which is a separate system.  This VOR beacon will be part of the
"Alphas", used to be called the "Ambers" an airway system up the middle
of England.  There are VORs at the major junctions for the airliners to
use for navigation.  Many aircraft will use IN/GPS now for the most
part, but the VORs are still there, presumably to provide the master
reference.

ILS, invented by the Brits I believe, stands for Instrument Landing
System and provides a way of carrying out a straight-in approach to a
runway, equipped with ILS, in poor weather.  It is due for replacement,
but no one seems to be able to agree on what to use instead – GPS or
millimetric wave radar.

Chris