[OM] Re: (OT) Guthrie's lost songs (was Re: Re: [photo] Winter 1)

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Guthrie's lost songs (was Re: Re: [photo] Winter 1)
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:19:43 -0600
I had a feeling you might not care for Dylan.  The book is
very interesting to me, especially for what it leaves out:
nothing about his marriage and breakup, which is such a
monumental and self-exposed element of his work from
"Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" through "Blood on the
Tracks."  And nothing about his conversion to Christianity
in the late '70s.  Of the five chapters, almost one is given
to "New Morning," and one whole other to "Oh Mercy" (which
is one of my favorite records, so I enjoyed it a lot, but I
can't imagine reading it if I didn't know that record and
its great sound as engineered by Daniel Lanois).  Three more
chapters to cover everything else.

Lots of gaps, you might say.

I suppose the biggest theme is the suffocation of his fame
and having to live up to expectations of his following.  He
explicitly addresses trying to recreate himself in order to
shake loose.  Makes things like "Nashville Skyline" finally
make sense.

He's got a wild gift for prose too.  I think you'd enjoy it.

Joel W.