[OM] another Olympus 35 ED question, probably for Clint

Subject: [OM] another Olympus 35 ED question, probably for Clint
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:42:45 -0400
The online manual I found for the Olympus 35 ED says that it sets the
shutter to 1/30th when a flash is attached in the hot shoe. This is a
mechanical switch (not electronic as I had originally thought) that
obviously also sets it into GN mode, as there is a small switch that is
moved, which is under one of the edges of the hotshoe. I didn't realize this
until I took the top off to clean the viewfinder. So, if a flash is present
in the hotshoe, the shutter would be at 1/30th, and the aperture would be
set according to the mechanical GN number setting and the focus distance,
regarless of lighting conditions, or whether or not the flash was turned on.
The manual neglected to mention that leaving the flash in the hotshoe even
if turned off, would result in incorrect exposure :-)

So, if a flash is used on a flash bracket and plugged into the PC sync, the
GN feature or the 1/30th sync would not be engaged. My question is then,
would the camera shutter sync with the flash at all speeds, which can be up
to 1/800th according to the camera specs? If so, it might be nice for fill
flash applications.

I got my first roll back from it yesterday (fuji 200 print), and all the
exposures were perfect, even in bright snow conditions and when pointed
directly into a hazy winter sun, without me making any compensations. And,
based only on 4x6's, I'd say the 38/2.8 lens is quite comparable in quality
to the 35 RC 42/2.8. I'll have to try it with a slide film next.

Wayne