[OM] Re: Olympus RAW files?

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus RAW files?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:47:23 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Chris Barker wrote:

> I am trying to use Extensis Portfolio to catalogue my E-1 files, to
> convert and catalogue the RAW files as well as the jpegs, but it will
> not show the RAW files.  On their website
>
> http://www.extensis.com/en/support/kb_article.jsp?articleNumber=902193
>
> the programme is supposed to support E10 and E20 files, so are these
> different from the E-1?

Yes, typically each new sensor introduces yet another new RAW file format.
That's one of the big downsides of the RAW format, you're at the mercy of
the manufacturer to continue to support that format in the future.  For
archival purposes, don't use RAW, convert to tiff (or perhaps Adobe DNG if
that pans out).

One cataloging system which does support the E-1 RAW format is IMatch.
You may want to give it a go, a free trial can be downloaded from
www.photools.com.
                                -mark