[OM] Re: Fungus

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus
From: David Carter <spotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:26:21 +1300
Moose,
> I said later in the same pp, "Only if the lens in question can be taken
> for an estimate from a qualified repair person beforehand would I
> purchase it for later actual use."
Sorry, I missed that bit.

I already agreed with your point, but
> I don't know how one can know it is economically repairable without
> having a technician evaluate it.
I use a figure guesstimated by a local repairer @ $50 per element, which based
on what they have actually charged me is a reasonably good guess if you're
prepared to accept that it's impossible to work out accurately, until the lens
has been dismantled.

> Remember what John H. said. "You should avoid any used lenses that are
> being offered with fungus damage. Sometimes it can be cleaned out, other
> times it has progressed enough tohave eaten into the glass. Many
> replacement elements are not available."
>

>>- A lens that you need, but which cannot be easily obtained
> Same situation as above, what good is it if it doesn't work properly.
a paperweight, until a spare parts lens arrives.

>>- a lens with fungus on the outside of the outside of the front or rear
>>element,
>>that can be wiped off with a microfibre cloth ( I bought one of these )
> Take your chances, but if the coating and/or glass itself has been eaten
> away, you are SOL.
I agree, but when buying, sight unseen from EBAY or Trademe we're often
dependent on blind people.