[OM] Re: f-stops (Was: Solstice web-site news)

Subject: [OM] Re: f-stops (Was: Solstice web-site news)
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:25:10 -0000
So what would that make the effective aperture of the 8mm Zuiko???

the limiting diameter will vary with the angle of view. For a retrofocus
wide angle it is the diaphragm (the front elements are oversize - to limit
vignetting iirc). for a telephoto lenses it is the front element, based
simply on cost and the fact that there is no advantage to an oversized front
element for a tele.

I think the actual diameter should be measured across a light circle
projected from the front of the lens by a point source at the focal plane.
Bit like the vignetting lens hood debates!

Julian