[OM] UK Deliveries (was: Flashguns for E-1)

Subject: [OM] UK Deliveries (was: Flashguns for E-1)
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:51:29 -0000
Chris Barker wrote:

> Initial City Link* courier service.
> *I would not recommend them to anyone in the UK btw; they are
difficult
> get deliveries out of.  Stick to good old Royal Mail is my advice.

We get quite a few courier deliveries, and we also send out quite a few.
The quality of the service, to be honest, seems much of a muchness
between the couriers, as it seems to depend on who is good for your
particular (or the destination if you're sending out) area, rather than
one courier being better or worse than another.

For us, for example, incoming Amtrak is best, followed by CitiLink,
followed by Business Post. I've had nothing but grief with deliveries by
UPS (the worst, without doubt), ParcelForce (who really couldn't care
less), and ParcelLine. But they are usually franchised, so one can't
assume that bad in one area means bad everywhere. Or indeed that good
means good everywhere.

When sending out, we have accounts with Amtrak, Business Post,
ParcelLine (indirectly) and a local courier (Swift). Swift is great for
same-day, but poor for "into the pot next-day" deliveries. I usually use
Amtrak, but only really because they also come here to deliver to us
most frequently.

For shipping OM gear out, though, as it's typically fairly low weight, I
do agree and find the Post Office both effective, efficient, and the
best value. It's a pity you have to go out to the Post Office, though,
as they don't collect, and our local one (2 miles away) is often shut,
too.

Regards,

Simon