[OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:55:09 -0000
Siddiq wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 07:48:14 -0000, Simon Worby <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> Diesels are great if you don't want to / can't afford a petrol car
>> and you can live with them sounding like a tractor, running out of
>> puff at 4,000 rpm, stinking, smelling when you fill them up, and
>> generally being horrible to drive.
>
> I did not find that to be the case for modern Tdi's (did not drive it,
> but spent a LOT of time in it)

Apart from my subjective "horrible to drive" bit, what else do you
disagree with? (Just interested...)

>> But I've yet to meet anyone who, when pressed, hasn't said they would

>> rather have a petrol car, but can live with the diesel disadvantages
>> because of the reduced cost. Which is fine.
>
> arguable; the parties of which i speak could well afford damn near
> anything on the market but have Tdi.

Being able to afford has absolutely nothing in common with being willing
to afford. In fact, quite clearly you don't get rich by wasting money,
and unless you really don't like diesels, and you can justify buying
petrol on that basis (as I do), buying a petrol car is a real waste of
money.

Regards,

Simon