[OM] Re: Birth of Radar and C-360 or 370

Subject: [OM] Re: Birth of Radar and C-360 or 370
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:42:53 +0000
A small glossary for you Mark M-L:

CH: Chain Home, the name for the network of radars used in WWII on the
English coast.

IFF: identification friend or foe, now called SSR or secondary
surveillance radar in which the aircraft uses a transponder to reply to
certain sorts of radar signal and provide information.  In war time it
is coded and identifies a friend; in peacetime it merely identifies
different traffic in the air and gives its flight level or altitude.

RDF: radio direction-finding, as opposed to ranging.

AI: air-intercept radar.

TX:     transmitter station.

GEE and OBOE were homing signals to assist with navigation for bombers.

H2S: a model of radar that was first used in Lancasters and other
bombers (and night fighters I think), but a derivation of which was
still used in Cold War bomber, the Vulcan.

That's all I (think I) know ;-)  They're all abbreviations, rather than
acronyms like RADAR.

Chris