[OM] Re: [OT] New Photoshop machine...

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] New Photoshop machine...
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:49:34 -0800
I'd strongly recommend going with XP, Donald. I finally succumbed and
upgraded my Win2K Workstation machine to XP Pro just about a month ago,
and although the difference isn't that large in that upgrade path, it's
still significant. This for a newly-built (18 months old) home-brew
machine that was "designed" by me after some 6 years on the majority of
my previous "Wintel" hardware. Replacement was primarily triggered by a
failure of the built-in SCSI controller, not any underlying lack of
capability. I specified components this time around based on PS
performance, where the old machine (also home-brew) was more
general-purpose in design.

(Side note: this is the first time in over 10 years that I also needed
to replace virtually all components. I estimate that my Windows machines
in that decade have been upgraded bit-by-bit as my requirements dictated
for about $200/year--mostly in peripherals--which generally kept me at
or near the "bleeding edge" for my (and indeed, most) purposes. Last O/S
upgrade was in 1999, when Win2K debuted. This machine should be
"piece-upgradeable" for at least four more years, barring serious O/S
madness)

The difference in capability and reliability of XP (either flavor) over
the 9x series of Windows products is huge, and virtually all positive.
For the majority of users, XP home should probably do quite nicely. XP
Pro's greatest advantages accrue mostly to those communicating primarily
within a network containing Windows Servers (for example, in corporate
LANs) and doesn't (IMO) justify the increased price for the average home
user. I'd have used only XP Home myself were I not also running a
Windows server here.

---
Scott Gomez