[OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:06:28 -0800
Gordon Ross wrote:

>Hi Ian:
>
>Another Calgarian! That's 3 with Garth and myself. I have one of the early
>OM 1's serial 450846 no MD or N  if you want to check them out side by side
>contact me.

That isn't particularly early. I believe they made and sold OM-1s both
with and without MD for some time after MD was introduced. If you look
at Mark's M-1 site, you will see serials for non MD bodies made up to
the end of 1975 and with serial numbers up over 800,000. Looks like
yours was made somewhere around late middle 1974.

My original chrome OM-1 without MD openings in the base plate is serial
206,85x. It has the old, smaller pressure plate,  flush door latch hook.
Primary wind gear looks like this
<http://olympus.dementia.org/M-1/M-1_WindGear.html>. Motor drive contact
location looks like this except with cross point screws
<http://olympus.dementia.org/M-1/M-1_MD.html>.  Production date June/73.

Also, Mark's example of an early OM-1 MD at 369,902 may be about as
early as they were made, but not nearly as low as their serial numbers
go. I have a black OM-1 (no MD indication, but the ones that were just
glued to the leatherette fell off pretty easily) with MD opening, MD
contacts and MD pin hole in the base plate and the serial # is 281,23x.
Production date is Oct/74.

Moose